I know it’s not really Midtown Lunch, but I promised news about Kyotofu when it opened, so here it is… the Kyotofu website says the Grand Opening is on November 6th- but the Hell’s Kitchen Japanese Dessert place has been open every night this week starting at 6:30 PM. Everything I read made it sound like a bakery AND dessert bar (like a Japanese Amy’s Bread)… but at first glance it appears to be a pretty upscale dessert bar- with no sign of a “bakery” or anything you could take to go. Here’s the menu for those interested in a little after work Sake & Dessert (click here for a larger image):
There’s also a little controversy as to whether this place even exists in Japan. There is no sign of a Japanese website, and some questions were raised by the comments on my last post. Very interesting…. hopefully the “grand opening” on November 6th will include some cheaper things you can actually take to go.
Directly across town, the Midtown branch of
Korean Japanese BBQ chain Gyu-Kaku has opened for lunch on 50th and 3rd Ave. It’s a little pricey to be one of my Midtown Lunches, but if you are looking for one of those grille your own meat places and don’t want to venture below the 40s you can check this one out. Here’s a link to their lunch menu. (As much as I liked Gyu-Kaku the one time I went to it in L.A., I think I’ll probably just stick with the Korean BBQ places in Koreatown.)
More Midtown Lunch news, and Midtown Links you definitely want to know about (including one about Chef Ming Tsai being at Rock Center today) all after the jump…
- It’s official. The chicken and rice at the cart on 53rd & 6th is worth dying for (unfortunately it’s still only open at night) [Gothamist]
- Chowhounders tackle the Midtown Sushi issue (none of the choices are cheap) [Chowhound]
- NYMag explores Midtown Lunch options around 38th & 3rd Ave. (this one I didn’t write) [Grub Street]
- Good Korean… and a little closer to Midtown- It’s on 35th! [NYC Nosh]
- Fancy lunch “deals” include Megu & Jean Georges [Ed Levine]
- Ming Tsai doing something with this giant “pond” of Cranberries at Noon today in front of Rock Center [Grub Street]
In a little bit of MidtownLunch.com news, in addition to the new look (which I still haven’t decided if I’m keeping- I can’t change the background color… sorry) I added a page where you can see all the Profiled: Midtown Lunch’ers at once. Want your pic and opinions about eating in Midtown to be added? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Not too much planned for next week… except another buffet (more specifically, the artist formerly known as Minado!). Very exciting. Anywhere you think I should be checking out? Email me at email@example.com
Have a good weekend!